Thursday, July 11, 2024

Timascus Mega Hexy Beads!

Howdy all,

It's a hot and humid time of year here, as it is in most of the US I think. Stay cool and hydrated out there! 

Well I finally did it. I made a run of new beads in beautiful Timascus! I wanted a brand new shape around the perimeter that would show off the patterning but would be different from the fluted sides of past batches. I also wanted flats so I could do a name stamp. After messing around for hours I finally ended up going back to the default hex, probably the most pleasing shape you could ask for, and a ready canvas for decoration...You might be tempted to break out a wrench, but these are pure beads with a non threaded 1/4" opening that happen to be 9/16" on the outside.

The new design is similar in size to the Mega fluted beads, so will be instantly familiar in your hand. I experimented with numerous finishes and coloring methods to see which would bring out the best colors and patterns. I settled on one approach for electrical anodizing that creates low luster satin finishes and more subtle patterns, and then a second method that uses a scotchbrite wheel and heat to bring out a different set of colors. Both methods have pros and cons and I found interesting combos in both finishing methods, although they are both limited in different ways.

This first group is the electric group. One advantage here is that I can do my traditional C-51 neutral color for those who are allergic to bright colors (haha, just email me if you want the plain C-51 look) but who still want to see the patterning in the material. Electrical anodizing is also much easier to control and has a broader range of colors possible. The exception would be blue (pictures look blue but it is more of a green) which proved quite elusive in the higher voltage ranges which is where the best patterns were to be found.

Timascus Hexy Megas will run $50 each plus shipping and the link is below. Thanks for poking your nose in today, and I hope you stay cool this week!   

All gone for today, thank you so much!




 
 
 
 

No comments: