Sunday, April 08, 2007

Google Screwed Up!

I just spent quite some time trying to log in to my blog today. The people at Google decided that you have to have a Google account to log in. But the dumbasses did not provide a way to get back into your old account to log out so that the new log in would work. And their instructions were useless, resulting in an hour of head scratching and cursing. I guarantee that 99% of the people in the world using the old blogger accounts can no longer get in and now can't figure out what to do. They will have to set up new accounts probably and abandon their old Blog pages. Talk about a disaster, what the heck is the matter with these idiots? :(

Also the Blogger software is some of the worst I have ever seen. My wife wrote the Phlaunt software which is pretty incredible and well designed. Contrasting the ease of building a Phlaunt website to the nightmare of building a Blogger page it's easy to see why I am frustrated. Oh well, I feel better now. :)

2 comments:

Peter Atwood said...

Hehe, what am I complaining about right? The thing is free after all... :D I happen to have a resident computer guru to help me out when I get in a jam but I have a feeling most people are not so lucky...the upside is that the new software is faster so I guess it's all good.

Anonymous said...

I just went through this with Yahoo disabling the old Flickr logons and forcing us into Yahoo accounts. It is annoying and indicative of a company putting their own ease of administration ahead of their users. A bad move when it's the users who create the value. After all, I don't come to Blogger to read what Google has to say. I come to read Peter Atwood ;-)

I seriously recommend Wordpress.com, which is also free. It has a very nice editor built in, or you can use your own bloging client to connect to their site (you used to be able to do that to Blogger too, but that was before the buyout by Google and the current software update, so your mileage may vary).

For bloging clients I recommend MarsEdit if you are Mac based and w.bloggar for windows. ecto has versions for both mac And windows, but I haven't used it. I find using a client on my own machine speeds things up tremendously, as well as giving the ability to work with drafts of posts and local previews.