Monday, October 27, 2008

Working on WildCards

Howdy folks! Thought I should put out an update...

I'm currently working on the WildCard mini credit card knives. These are in the final stages of sharpening and packaging and the first wave will be going up for sale tomorrow. Here's the product card details on them:

"Made of CPM S30V steel just under 1/8" thick, this mini credit card tool features 6 SAE wrench sizes: ¼, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, ½ and 9/16. Also includes 5 metric wrench sizes: 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14mm. Bottle opener doubles as a 5/16 wrench. A ¼” hex opening and screwdriver tip is also included as well as a small cutting edge. Be mindful of the cutting edge and use extreme caution when using the tool functions!"

These little tools are designed to be carried in a card slot in your wallet. For this reason I will not be making sheaths for them as your wallet acts as the sheath. However, I will apply a small piece of extra thick electrical tape over the cutting edge to protect your wallet from incidental slices and to provide a small amount of protection when lightly handling the tool. Electrical tape is a simple solution, leaves minimal residue and is easily replaceable by the user. At the same time it gives reasonably quick access to a cutting edge and it is reusable. If it gets worn out just put 3-4 layers of common electrical tape over the edge and trim excess with a blade.

Obviously, this is designed to be a last ditch piece and is not supposed to replace a Craftsman tool chest. :) Please be very careful if you go to use the wrench features as the tape will not provide significant protection against cuts if direct pressure is applied to the edge.

This new design is a nice update to my previous credit card knife designs....before anyone asks, I will NOT be making any more of the little S30v Micro Card knives or the full sized card knives that I produced in years past.

Some pics:





12 comments:

DB said...

Thanks for the update, Peter. Look forward to getting one of these!

Anonymous said...

Cool. Looks great. Is it tomorrow yet? So these will be sold by regular sale?

Peter Atwood said...

Thanks guys. :)

Yes, a regular sale, I'll be announcing on the blog. I'm thinking the price for these will be $85 plus shipping. Will be one per customer for now and if the response is good I may do another larger batch after the holidays.

the Unknower said...

those are some pretty little peices hopefully ill see one in person some day

iconoclast said...

Looks awesome. Thanks for the preview.
Can't wait to try one out.
Any plans for dlc'ing a batch of these?

Unknown said...

Looking good, Homie. ;-)

s4biturbo said...

once again, very nice design here Peter! A lot of function packed into a small package. Looking forward to adding one to the collection!!

Rick said...

Peter,

Did you go with the same wrench design as the second run of G3s that had a little more ridge for an improved grip on bolts/nuts?

I think I prefer my 2nd run G3 wrench feature to that of my Atwrench.

YL said...

Metric! :) What's the word on the metric G3 Prybaby? For me that'd be the ultimat, I'd LOVE to see one of those...

Unknown said...

Ahhhh... another metric tool at last!!... I shan't pass on this one :)))
I'll be drinking a lot of coffee to stay awake at night (different timezones) but cannot be missing this beauty.
Time to put my good old Spydercard to a well-deserved rest? ;)

Francesco, ITALY

Keefe said...

Cool Tool.
I would need to add one of these to my collection...and wallet.

pirateye said...

Peter, I'm unsure how to get set to buy from you. Regular sale or lottery? I love your little tools now I want to own one.
pirateye