Wednesday, July 12, 2006

You've Got to Be Kidding Me

Those were the words that came out of my mouth followed by some choice expletives yesterday as I flipped the switch on my grinder. I have a variable speed controller for the 2 horse Leeson motor and for some reason it up and died on me just as I was about to sharpen a knife. I flipped the switch and nothing happened. No lights on the unit to indicate that it was getting power. I checked the circuit breaker, got out the multimeter and checked the outlet and it had power. So apparently it just stopped working. May have been due to a power surge or something as we were having some violent weather in the region yesterday.

Anyway, I got on the phone with Rob Frink at Beaumont Metal Works and explained the problem. For anyone who does not know, Rob is an outstanding businessman and he makes what is arguably one of the finest belt grinders that there is, the mighty KMG. Rob walked me through a few diagnostics and concluded that the problem was not something that could be determined over the phone.

The upshot is I will have the new unit overnight FedExed to me and then will send the present one in for repair. The unexpected outlay of $500 and some odd dollars was not entirely welcome but I cannot afford to be without a grinder for more than a day or two. I have a second more modest machine, a Coote that I purchased secondhand this past winter but it isn't hooked up to a motor yet. Now it looks like I will end up with a second variable speed controller so all I need for it is a motor and I will be styling with two variable speed machines! The Coote takes a smaller belt though so it is limited as far as function but still nice to have a backup machine. And worse comes to worse I can always swap controllers if need be.

Ah well, such is life. :)

No comments: