Wednesday, February 15, 2017

12 Point Tools!

Hi Everyone,

Well, we've been busy digging out here in the northeast after two good sized storms in a row. I cleared a path around to the back door the other morning and there was easily 16 inches. My little Toro snow thrower was struggling as I pushed through inch by inch. Luckily the snow was fairly light and fluffy though, and it's warming up this week which will get rid of some of it.

I managed to get a lot done this past weekend. The LongShots are nearly finished buffing out, should have the batch finally ready to go in another day or two. I got through another round of beads and cord tying so there are more 5 flutes and other styles coming shortly. And I got most of the 12 Point tools finished up as well...

So today I'll start with those 12 Points. These are heavy duty pry bar/wrench tools and I have incorporated a brand new 12 point wrench design in them. Of course standard mechanic's wrenches have been using this type of design for decades but this is the first time I have made anything with that style opening. Now that I have the drawings worked out you can expect to see more 12 Point wrenches in upcoming projects, such as the next generation Keytons for instance.

The 12 Points are made of 3v steel. They had such a pleasing heft to them that I decided not to sacrifice any of the thickness to surface grinding...These beasts measure .215 inches thick, so just shy of 1/4". The length is a generous 3.5 inches so these are a great choice for all you guys with the big mitts! Indeed, they feel quite substantial in the hand, yet are still fairly compact for a larger pocket tool. The 12 Point wrench openings are 1/2", 7/16" and 3/8", the cap lifter is also a true wrench and measures 5/16". A broad pry tip finishes the tool.

The raw bar texture is quite light on both sides and you can expect to see plenty of character marks in the steel. I decided to give these an old fashioned bead blasted finish and the overall finished surface reminds me of smooth concrete. They have a slightly rough and ready, almost an industrial feel to them.

I elected to leave the matte surface dry so oily tools would not stain the product insert cards. However, I recommend you hit the tool right away with WD-40, light machine oil, household oil or even olive oil. If you carry and use this tool you should keep applying oil of some kind periodically and they will develop a deep patina rather quickly. I'd love to see some good user pictures a year or two from now. Many of the old Bug Out Bars that I made with 3v steel more than a decade ago look fantastic today now that they have had some proper aging. With some time and use you will make these tools uniquely your own and nothing is more satisfying in my book.

The 12 Points will run $70 each plus shipping. It's a fairly good sized batch so I'll make it a limit of two per customer on them, and as usual the purchase link is below. Hope you're staying warm and surviving tax season!

Sold out for today, thank you!

 





 

9 comments:

JMiner said...

Apparently it's limbo time where there's a purchase link on the block, but the purchase option says "sold out". :(

Unknown said...

Sad I missed this one.

Unknown said...

Just started looking into his tool... but the fact that this sold out so fast scares me...

It may take me a few tries to get a Prybabies or something similar.

Wm3. said...

Is it possible to set up alerts for a new offering on this site? I am always just out of the loop and I try to check every day!

jemphd said...

Sad I didn't get in on this one - make more hefty ones

Ankr said...

I need to be very Lucky with this...I also try to look everyday, but I am in in another timezone, living all the way in Denmark... I hope to someday get my fingers in a titanium tactical wistle, to be part of my Edc and suvival setup. Would be the most awesome

Randall said...

Hello Peter, any plans for this pattern in Ti?

Peter Atwood said...

Thanks everyone!

No plans for ti at this time. There are still a few steel ones left, so if anyone wants to email me they are certainly welcome to them. Thank you.

Randall said...

Email sent, email instructions received & executed. Hopefully a 12 point is in the way!