Thursday, August 28, 2014

Mega Five Flute Lanslides

Howdy All,

Things seem to be rolling along this week quite smoothly so far (knock on wood). Hopefully this trend will continue as we wind up the summer.

I had been thinking about bringing back some of the old Lanslide beads for a long time but I wanted to do something a little different. Looking over all the old designs I kept coming back to the 5 Flute shape which was always my favorite. I had a lot of left over material on hand from the Terminators so I figured why not give my classic 5 Flute shape a design update and make it a bit bigger?

A funny thing happens with turned items and I have noticed this in the past. If you take the same design and blow it up, the resulting object will seem much larger than it ought to be given the bump in stock diameter. It's an interesting paradox. Going from 1/2" bar stock to 5/8" is only an 1/8" or 25% difference and yet the resulting object appears to be almost twice as large. It's pretty neat how this works.

Well, in this case, the 5 Flute design has taken a big step forward in refinement. By going larger I was able to greatly increase the depth of the scallops and now these have a terrific bold look to them. Deeper scallops also takes some of the weight out of them so they feel as good as they look. And I gave them a long gentle tumble which softened the sharp edges and left a rich patina as well.

This is a relatively small batch to start with (more variations coming next week!) so I'll make these a two per customer limit please for now. They are $25 each plus the shipping and the purchase link as always is right below. Have a great rest of the week everyone and I hope you all have some fun plans for this upcoming Labor Day weekend!

These are sold out for now, thank you everyone!





11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, 4 mins too late.

Unknown said...

SMH, still should be 1 per customer. Oh well, guess some things will never change. Now they will be $75 each on ebay in a few days......Oh Well

Unknown said...

miss!!!

Droc7683 said...

Material?

bob zombie said...

Crap. I missed out on something epic in the span of 60 seconds.

oldskoolboarder said...

I've missed the last two by minutes. ARGH! I have yet to ever win a landslide or terminator. Though I can't complain since I've picked up other items before.

Unknown said...

Missed it too. Just about to do the last check before sleeping..20 minutes late.. But more to come,right Pete? Hehehe..waiting for the new stuff on EDC world that you mentioned before...

Stads said...

I love your work Peter, but why not wait until you have larger batches done? In each sale, a handful of people are happy and everyone else winds up disappointed..

I don't know how to get blog notifications within 30 seconds, so I'm not a winner :/

I love your tools and your spirit. I just wish I could be a part of it all...

Joe said...

These look great, and I love copper. Sorry to have missed out.

Peter Atwood said...

Thank you Stads. The problem is I can never make enough, I can only handle so many orders by myself and some batches simply aren't very big. I do the best I can.

Unknown said...

got my hopes up for another run