Friday, February 19, 2021

Vintage Steel G5 Wrulers

Hi Everyone,

It's a chilly gray day here in New England. The snow is falling lightly and we are due for maybe an inch or so, nothing out of the ordinary for a February day. The good news is that it's only a month or two away from more moderate weather, so we will probably survive...it's been a rough one for the folks down south though and hopefully power and water are restored soon!

I've been picking away at the projects this week. Zr MikroStiks are getting close to the finish line. I have a few misc small batches of items nearly done, as well such as the older ti Bermuda Triangles with stamps. I'm on the fence about ti Superbugs whether to anodize or not, but will make a decision this weekend.

So today I have the New Old Stock Flat Steel Wruler tools done. These were cut about 10 years ago and have been sitting around forever...They are made of hardened 420 stainless steel and the design is based on the old G5 Prybabies, indeed they were cut around the same time as that batch. I flipped the SAE wrench set so it is upside down which allowed room for a straight top edge for a ruler scale. As you know, I have produced several ruler tools over the years, but this tool was actually the original concept design.

The original G5 Wrulers had a laser engraved ruler scale on them, but the laser guys totally screwed them up and they were simply not saleable. I set them aside in disgust...but then at one point I wanted to save them so I ended up surface grinding the markings off. Then they sat around in a box for several more years while I mulled over what to do with them next. 

Recently I decided I would once again try to save them rather than throw them away. So I had my buddy at a local machine shop engrave some new lines for me with a CNC mill. The steel had previously been hardened, so he had a bit of difficulty with the milling and it was more time consuming than he had anticipated. Consequently, we settled on just a simple 3 inch scale on the front side only. It isn't as big of a batch as I had hoped for, but maybe we will do the rest at another time. 

Luckily I was able to restamp my logo into them by hand, but there are no decorative stamps in this batch....The finishes vary, but expect to see a vintage antique satin type of finish, some with surface grinding grain and various character marks. Nice little user tools.

Flat Steel G5 Wrulers will run $55 plus shipping and the link is below. Limit of two please...thanks for dropping by today and I hope your weekend ahead is safe, warm and pleasant!

Sold out, thank you so much!

   

 
 

No comments: