Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Feeling like Fall

It's starting to get chilly here in the mornings but there is still only the faintest hint of color in the leaves. One of the nice things about New England and particularly our yard is the fantastic display of sugar maples, sumac and birch trees as they go through their yearly transformation. For a few weeks the color is brilliant, especially since there are a few yellow pines and spruce in the mix which adds some vivid green to the palette. The CT River is situated only about a mile away and usually at this time of year the falling temperatures cause the moist air coming up from the river to form an early morning mist which really adds to the other worldly feeling of the scene. It was one of the things I really liked about this spot from the beginning. Our house sits on a hillside and from my office window every morning I get a spectacular view of green yard and trees. It's a nice place to sip my coffee and think about what I need to do for the day before pulling on my work clothes and heading down to the basement shop.

No comments: